Monday, August 21, 2017

Programming Change Rangga's Life

Rangga Aditya Prawira is one of our Batch #1 graduates. The first batch is a monumental period for us. It allow us to test the basic ideas of our bootcamp: that anyone, with a strong sense of self determination, reinforced by a supportive environment for up to 12 weeks, are more than capable to get a career in the higher spectrum of programming world. So Glend Maatita (CHRO Refactory) specifically recommended Rangga as the first subject of my interview. We got a report that Rangga is appointed to be a team leader in Triplogic, an apps which hope to solve the baggage problems that was more than often encountered by any traveler. Glend even had to convince me that Rangga is potentially one of the success stories we have. An exaggeration, i thought. I considered that Glend's statement was a mere bias because at the bootcamp, Rangga was a protégé which directly studied under his wing.

But apparently i was wrong. Rather than addressing that Rangga story is a success story, i'd rather call it a triumphant story. Of a young man determination, who managed to pull him out of his financial struggles. I thought that anyone should be more than capable to resonance with his story. p.s: I attach the excerpt of our interview. 



Hello Rangga, let's start by giving our audience a story. Try to tell me about your activity prior to joining Refactory. Give us a drama!  

(He laughs, he thinks that i was joking) "Let me think... Nope. I don't have any interesting stories. But can I tell you about my experience before i join Refactory?"   (I nodded) "At that time, I was studying for 2 semesters at a college in Bandung as I undergo my final exam."  

Wait a minute. What happened with your final exam then?   

"Well, it can't be helped. With the intensity during bootcamp, I had to take a leave, which still continued up to now." (He laughs again)  

Don't you feel somewhat loss?  

Actually i don't. Prior to study in this university, I was also admitted to one of state college for a few semesters. But I had to take a time off because I was sick. When I returned to that college, I was faced with a pile of unpaid tuition fees, at that time, my family was facing a financial struggle. So I decided to quit that college. Only when I join another university, I found out about Refactory. At that moment, all i think is this is somewhat a good opportunity to lessen the burden of my parents. This is the way!"  

But there are tuition in this bootcamp too. Right?  

Yeah (he laughs) At that time, i didn't aware that this is a premium bootcamp. Even when it was announced that I made it into Refactory, and I knew that there was a fee to be paid, I had a thought of pulling back. But then i received a phone call from Mr. Siswanto (CFO Refactory). He explain about the payment model at Refactory. There was an intense communication between him and my parents. He underlined that the payment model of Refactory is by creating the ability to pay for each student. And this is indeed proven to be true. I am so thankful of it (Rangga's tuition is paid after he get a job)."  

So what about your college?   

"Well, I have not decided yet. Some of my friends who are already graduated from college are still struggling to find a job. I am very grateful to be in this position." (he smile)  

Tell me about your work today.   

"It's been 3 months since I graduated from Refactory, currently I work at a company in Bandung. Triplogic. This is an apps which are trying to solves the problems of traveler. When we travel, we often want to bring back a lot of baggage, more than the maximum capacity allowed by transportation. This app is trying to solve that problem. "  

Tell me about your achievements. (At that time I hope that he'll start to brag about his role as a new team leader)   

"In my opinion, programmers are individuals who are always try to give value and solutions to the existing problems in society. Because they are capable of it. So, by joining this team, all i am feeling is proudness and grateful."  

So, what's your greatest achievement after graduating from Refactory? (At this point, I highly hope that he will start to brag his role as a new team leader)   

"Programming is changing my life. Through programming, I am very grateful that the result of my sweat, can be used to pay for my sister's college tuition."

First batch i photograph. One of them is Rangga. Guess which one is he.
At the end of the interview, I was stupefied for a few seconds. Instead of bragging his role, Rangga prefers to tell the value of his hardwork. I count that there are 4 times he said 'thankful' and 'grateful'. Now, I fully understand why Glend is particularly proud of Rangga. Rangga and his peers from batch 1 are the best benchmarks we can expect. With a minimum salary of 10 million, 77% of them are able to secure a job in the higher spectrum of engineering world. And we won't stop. And Rangga venture in the world of professional is still on the fast track. Good luck Rangga!

No comments:

Post a Comment